Thursday, September 15, 2011

So what is it that I actually do?

I refer to what I create as illuminated sculptures. They are created out of wood, paper and electricity. As you can see in the  photo they are very organic in form. I like to tell people who have never seen my work to envision a Chinese paper lantern, then imagine that lantern on drugs, thats what I do.

Even though these pieces are made of some what mundane materials they are labor intensive. On average the pieces take anywhere from 60 to 80 hours to make start to finish. Obviously smaller ones take a little less (but not that much less actually) and larger ones take much longer. The piece pictured here is 7 feet long and took over 1000 hours to create. So pieces such as that are true labors of love due to what I can realistically sell it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment