Thursday, September 15, 2011

Where I am right now

So I guess a short introduction is in order. I am a full-time working artist. Sometimes I make money sometimes I don't. Well right now most times I dont. Presently I work about 8-10 hours a day in my studio creating my illuminated sculptures. Then I go home and spend an hour more or less on the computer dealing with emails and searching for opportunities to show my work.

I started this blog to help dispel the myth that artist don't really work. It hit me when earlier this year to earn some money I was working for a friend that owns a landscape and mowing company. I was working with a great guy named Tim. We had been working together for a few weeks. One day when we were taking a short break it came up that I was an artist. Tim's response was, "Your an artist? Huh I would never have pegged you as an artist. Your a hard working son of a bitch. LOL" So it was then that it hit me that most people think artist firstly dont work very hard or wont work hard. The truth is any artist thats serious about being a successful artist works very hard. Working as a full time artist is no different than running and working your own small business.

So thats what made me decide to start this blog. It will basically be an online diary of my triumphs and defeats, ups and downs as a working artist. Hopefully I will be able to make it interesting enough to keep people around.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first visit to your site. You so have it pegged about artists and the hard work they do. My husband is a musician. Most people who come to see him are there to party as well. This leads them to believe that he is more "party" than work. So untrue. He is the hardest working person I know.
    I am glad you are devoting your time and dedication to your art...and I hope you see more monetary gain from sharing it with others. Thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete